In 1946, Roy and Ann Williams opened The Blue Bake Shop on North Main Avenue in West Scranton. Everything was made from scratch from the finest ingredients - - the cakes, the cookies, the creme puffs and éclairs, the "Royanna" donuts, and, of course, the pies. Unlike other area bake shops, the crust was made - - not from lard and powdered milk - - but from whole milk, flour, butter and eggs. The filling came from real fruit and the custards and crèmes were homemade from an old family recipe.
Since a piece of pie and a cup of coffee represented a staple for traveling salesmen and blue-collar workers, area restaurants - -including The Castle, Chick's, and The Summit Diner - - added Williams Pies to their menus.
By 1951, Roy and Anna were baking over 500 pies a week, necessitating a move to a larger facility on West Market Street. As the demand for their pies continued to increase, the couple relocated their business this time to the corner of Blakely and Grove Streets in Dunmore.
In 1966, a group of local business men, including officials from The Greater Scranton Chamber of Commerce, attempted to persuade Roy and Ann to mass produce their pies with commerce ovens and factory manufactured dough. Investors lined up to offer a stake in the enterprise, but the couple discovered that industrial ovens, factory made dough, and assembly line workers could not replicate the quality of their product. And so, they continued to bake the pies the old way - - by hand and roller - - until Roy and Ann retired in 1988 to spend some time with their family (which, by this time, numbered eleven children and over 100 grandchildren).
The family recipe for the pies (a treasured secret) was passed on to the children, including Richard, the proprietor of this shop. Every pie within this place of business has been made with the finest ingredients and hand-crafted care in the tradition of Roy and Ann.
The following motto appeared above the door of The Blue Bake Shop: "Out of the Blue, a Treat for You."